HISTORY

Completed in 1905, Millpond has provided respite and a connection to the outdoors for noteworthy leaders in business, government, politics, faith, and the arts.  At its core, however, Millpond has and always will be a place for family and friends to enjoy each other's company and make memories and connections that last a lifetime.

In the late 1800's Thomasville, Georgia was celebrated as one of the most fashionable places in the world to visit, voted "Best Winter Resort" on three continents by Harper's Magazine in 1898.  During this Victorian era, many wealthy travelers came South by rail to enjoy the mild winter climate and the "pine infused" air.  Attracted to the genteel sporting life centered around the pursuit of wild bobwhite quail, the area quickly became known for its inviting climate, beautiful architecture, and welcoming hospitality.

Millpond Plantation was built by Jeptha Homer Wade II on land he began acquiring near downtown Thomasville, Georgia, in 1903.  By 1910 Wade, a Cleveland, Ohio native, had acquired more than 10,000 acres for his winter retreat.  After its completion in 1905, the Atlanta Journal Constitution named Millpond the "Third Handsomest Place in the Entire South."

Wade was a financier and philanthropist who served as an executive in more than forty companies including railways, mining companies, manufacturing firms, and banks.  Wade and his family made a significant impact on his hometown of Cleveland including the establishment of the Cleveland Museum of Art and Wade Park.  Wade was the grandson of Jeptha Homer Wade who was a financier and telegraph pioneer as a founder and president of Western Union.
 

Today, the property remains under the stewardship of some of Wade's descendants and is being used and enjoyed by the sixth generation of the family.  The property has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1976.

© 2019-2020 by Millpond Plantation LLC.  All rights reserved.